This blog will give updates on the activities of Richard Harbord, President of the Institute of Revenues, Rating & Valuation, during his Presidential Year 2013/14.

Friday 10 October 2014

A final update from Richard

Richard with new IRRV President for 2014/15, Kevin Stewart
The end of the Conference is the end of the Presidential Year. It seems to have gone very quickly indeed. I only hope members of the Institute feel they have had value for money.

The year takes quite a lot of hard work by all sorts of people. I have had tremendous support from the Chief Executive and from all the Institute staff.

The brunt of the difficulties are dealt with by David and Gary but I have had great help from other members of the staff such as Daniel and Rachel.   Once outside the boundaries of England you realise what a huge asset Fraser is in dealing with all matters in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

I am very grateful to the Associations for inviting me to their events. I think it is a great shame that there are not dynamic Associations country wide but they do take a lot of hard work to sustain. 

I have also enjoyed my invitations to the kindred societies and I hope they enjoyed our lunch for them which was a most enjoyable occasion for me. The Past Presidents and Honorary Members lunch is another excellent occasion when we renew our acquaintance’s with our former Presidents, many of whom retired sometime ago.

The Conference provides a fitting crescendo. This years seemed very lively, the papers given were excellent, the exhibition was good and well patronised and all in all it had a good feel to it.

The AGM was as poorly attended as ever but not without controversy. The Awards evening seemed a little quieter than recent years but there was a definite air of excitement.

These days the new President’s year starts with the Association Representatives meeting on the Friday after Conference and as I left Telford life was continuing under new leadership.

I hope that Kevin has as good a year as I have

Richard Harbord

No comments:

Post a Comment